For the month of March, we are focusing on the topics of a Growth Mindset versus a Fixed Mindset as well as Stress and Worry. This past week, we discussed with the staff the difference between a Growth Mindset and a Fixed Mindset. If you are unsure, here is a breakdown between the mindsets.
Our attitudes, thoughts, and beliefs about something.
GROWTH MINDSET: The belief that we are capable of working hard to increase our potential and intelligence. We are never as smart as we can be.
Benefits of having a Growth Mindset:
- Learn from your mistakes
- Open to learning
- You believe you can become smarter
- Speaks positively to themselves
- Comfortable making mistakes
FIXED MINDSET: The belief that you are born with a certain amount of intelligence or potential and that’s it.
Drawbacks of having a Fixed Mindset:
- You think you’re always right
- Show off
- Give up and get upset when you’re wrong
- Negative self-talk when things don’t go right
- Limits you from learning new things
Here are the steps on how to teach a Growth Mindset to children.
- What is a growth mindset? What is a fixed mindset?
- Create a list of growth mindset statements/affirmations (see below)
- Add mindset discussions to your daily routine.
- Share your struggles together.
- Help connect feelings with the mindset.
- Learn something new.
- Use the power of “yet”
- Praise correctly
- Use positive reinforcement
- Reframe mistakes and failures
- Hit pause
Lastly, here are some Growth Mindset Statements/Affirmations for anyone to use.
- Mistakes help me learn and grow.
- I haven’t figured it out YET.
- I am on the right track.
- I can do hard things.
- This might take time and effort.
- I stick with things and don’t give up easily.
- I strive for progress, not perfection.
- I go after my dreams.
- I cheer myself up when it gets hard.
- I am a problem solver.
- I try new things.
- Learning is my superpower.
- I am brave enough to try.
- I grow my brain by learning new things.
- I strive to do my best.
Be sure to come back next week as we continue to focus on the topics of Growth and Fixed Mindset, Stress, and Worry!!!