We are continuing to focus on the topics of Savoring and Perseverance this month! Perseverance is the ability to keep going when things are tough. Even if children don’t achieve or master something right away, they can keep persevering towards their goal.
Perseverance can be challenging, especially for children. Here are some ways you can teach (and support) perseverance.
- Give them brainteasers, like puzzles. Allow them to work on it independently first and then support after they have tried.
- It’s all about attitude. Focus on having a growth mindset and model perseverance. Fail in front of them and show them YOU have grit.
- Children are used to fast and easy solutions. They will not persevere just because you told them to, so don’t expect immediate results and be patient with them.
- Accept that everyone is different. What one child might excel in may not be easy for the other child. Let the children work at it with the support from you. If you tend to continuously swoop in, they will never learn.
- Celebrate EVERY SUCCESS (big or small)! Don’t think the children need a prize every time they accomplish something. Some genuine and caring praise will go a long way. Also, focus on allowing them to be proud of themselves. Use phrases like, “You should be proud of yourself!”
Here are some Positive Mindset and Perseverance Quotes/Affirmations you can hang on your fridge or on the mirror in the bathroom for all to see!
- Challenges give you a chance to grow
- You are so willing to try
- You are brave
- Keep growing everyday
- Take a breath and relax
- You’ve got this
- Exercise your brain
- Keep learning everyday
- Choose positivity today
- Attitude makes the difference
- Your best is just right
- Mistakes = learning
Fun facts- Did you know these were invented by mistake?
- Silly putty
- Chocolate chip cookies
- Potato chips
- X-ray images
- Super glue
- Ice cream cone
- Corn flakes
“I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship” –Louisa May Alcott